Fort St High School SRC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fort St High School SRC

Discuss and have fun!

3 posters

The Bubblers Issue

michael-au

The Bubblers Issue Empty The Bubblers Issue

Post  michael-au Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:43 am

Well, it appears that this issue has been craving for attention since we've been passing our eyes over this topic during meetings. What I am trying to do is raise awareness over our poorly maintained bubblers. Why would we even consider renewing the bubblers? A list of the reasons follows simplified into a nutshell:

The Problem
    - Poor positioning:
    The bubbler's location is directly under the sun. The water it provides gives it a moist location. Moisture + Heat = Microbes. The bubblers is a perfect position for microbes to reproduce and strive which is why re-locating the bubblers is essential.

- The Two Trees in Lower Kilgour:
    These two trees are an definite nuisance especially during pollenating seasons and autumn. Lots of leaves countlessly fall into the bubblers. Microbes on the leaves can easily get to the bubblers. Bugs on the leaves can get into the bubblers. The possibilities are endless. During pollenating season, the tree's spores fly into the air and many land in the bubblers.

- Pigeons and other birds
    Fort Street High is flocked with pigeons. I know other schools have crows so I find that Fort Street has a friendlier environment with the pigeons instead of crows BUT it is not so friendly when pigeons get into our water systems. Yes. That's right. Pigeons occasionally have bird-baths in our bubblers. Not only that, droppings can land in the bubblers because of the lack of protection the bubblers have.

- What appears to be paint...
    Yes, you heard me folks, paint. Correct me if I'm incorrect but it looks like paint from past construction. I think we all know the implications of licking paint.

- What's the green stuff that I see inside the bubblers tap?
    Is it algae? Is it mould? Can it give me gastro-enteritis? I wouldn't be want to be drinking that water. Change needed people!

The Solution
    There are many solutions that we can take to minimise the unsanctuary bubblers. Many schools have taken these options. We can eiter consider upgrade or update (we should prepare two so if Ms Moxham fires at us, we can propose another on the spot).

- Bubblers UPGRADE
    The environmental committee proposed a bubblers project which included water bottle refill, and specially designed bubblers which prevented leaves or any other substance entering the bubblers. It also filters the water before it reaches the tap. Monte Santʼ Angelo Mercy College has purchased this water bubbler. Its design (i believe) would prevent any debris getting in although I do consider this as a luxury. This bubbler certianly looks big and is a nuisance to some degree but its State of the Art and it would be good to see it. It also removes chlorine out of the drinking water! Manly Council also installed these bubblers. Here's an image.

The Bubblers Issue Manly1
    It is suitable for the disabled on wheelcharis too.

The Bubblers Issue Water_hero2

The Bubblers Issue Filtered_water_station_with_no_text

The Bubblers Issue Monte-school-bottled-water-free

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/08/australian-school-ditches-bottled-water-becomes-first-carbon-neutral-school.php

- Bubblers UPDATE
    If an upgrade is too far-fetched, we can consider updating the bubblers system. Updating the bubblers could involve
    - Lids on bubblers:
    Many schools have used this idea and brought lids for their bubblers. As illustrated. This update can only protect the bubblers after school hours only but not during school hours.
    The Bubblers Issue Bubble10
    - Moving the bubblers to a new location.
    Moving the bubblers to an area under shade which avoids heat would be perfect.
    - Maintenance.
    Simpily asking the cleaners to clean the bubblers daily would substantially make the bubblers better.

Much considertaion is still needed on this idea.
    Carlo

The Bubblers Issue Empty Re: The Bubblers Issue

Post  Carlo Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 am

Excellent! Michael Au you are a genius. What now needs to happen is that we pass this on to Ms Moxham. Is there some way you could print this out as a slightly more formal (although there's nothing much wrong with it currently) report sort of thing so we've got something physical that we can give to her to read? All of your points and alternatives are very strong. Good work.
    michael-au

Post  michael-au Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:13 am

No problem. It'll be produced by Wednesday!
    Aliasgher

Post  Aliasgher Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Just one thing,the bubblers that you have said cost a heap like the we (environment committee) were looking into it and it costs like $4000 just to install one of those bubblers, not sure if its with the bottle refill or not but probably does, and also those bubblers are also designed to save water because any excess water left just rolls down the slope and back into the drain or w.e it is...
    Carlo

Post  Carlo Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Still, I think it's good to let Ms Moxham know of the options. Perhaps it's unlikely we'll get the new bubblers; that doesn't matter, because Michael's put in alternatives. The point is that something does need to be done.
    michael-au

Post  michael-au Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 am

Wait. I may require an extension. Thursday/Friday perhaps. I want to get some photos too.
    Carlo

Post  Carlo Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 am

That's fine - if we have it for next Monday, then that's okay, since the executive meetings are on at Monday. Ms Moxham might be busy with Orientation Day and Year 11/12 has exams but we'll see what can be done.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm