Fort St High School SRC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fort St High School SRC

Discuss and have fun!

+5
charizard
Harriet
hannah harmelin
Aliasgher
POPPY!
9 posters

CHRISTMAS DANCE

POPPY!

CHRISTMAS DANCE Empty CHRISTMAS DANCE

Post  POPPY! Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Sorry to start a new thread but i thought i'd just summarize everything from the last one into here. this is also what we'll be talking about in tomorrow's meeting. okay here we go:

THEME: Circus (this can include animals. also means we can sell lots of things like we did at last years dance. thinking moustaches, wigs, noses etc.)

FOOD: we'll be doing jelly and drinks like normal. probably gelato but also thinking about fairy floss. so let me know what you think about both.

ENTRY FEE: again the normal gold coin donation

DECORATIONS: I'm thinking lots of bright colours, streamers. that type of thing.

GAMES & PRIZES: we'll talk about this in the meeting but if you can leave suggestions that would be great.

TIMEDATE: 8th December, 6.30 - 9.30 (but if everyone could get there at like 5 so we can start setting up. PS: THIS IS ONLY THREE WEEKS AWAY!!)

COMMITTEES: food, publicity, decorations, games and logistics. (from the minutes i receieved these committees are quite messy so we'll clear everything up tomorrow and i'll post up the committee lists.)

WE ALSO NEED TO THINK ABOUT DJ vs. NO DJ and get music suggestions out to students soon.
    Aliasgher

CHRISTMAS DANCE Empty Re: CHRISTMAS DANCE

Post  Aliasgher Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:20 pm

I don't know where to put this, so I'll just put it here...
    Someone in my grade asked if we could organise grade wise kris kringles Smile
    It would be a really cool thing to do but I wasn't sure if we can do that??
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Circus is good. We could sell cardboard or maybe felt moustaches? I'm not sure where we could get red noses, but that would be cool too.

Fairy floss is really messy, and gelato is enough of a hassle to clean up.

Streamers, balloons? The only thing with balloons is that there will always be a few people who want to pop them constantly, so we could suspend them from somewhere?

And I thought that we decided against a DJ both at camp and at last week's meeting...?
    Harriet

Post  Harriet Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 am

@Aliasgher.
    That's a big job man, especially as we don't have long left.
    Also I don't think anyone would get into it at all.
    It's a really nice idea though.

Hey for food we should be selling typical circus-y food.
    I don't think fairy floss is such a bad idea really.
    And popcorn would be great.
    Maybe we should ditch the usual foods and go with the theme..?
    Thoughts?
    POPPY!

Post  POPPY! Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 am

i think organising a school wide kris kringle would be very difficult. but you could easily organise something like that within your roll call class. for some time we've beent hrowing around the idea of doing a candy cane drive (like the rose drive except with candycanes)

i like harriet's idea of popcorn. it would be soo messy if poeple were to throw it on the floor but i love the idea of themed food.
    charizard

Post  charizard Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 am

What are your ideas on asking angus to walk on stilts for a while? it would be so cool Smile and Olga suggested we have material draped from the ceiling of the hall to make it look like you're inside a tent? that sounds pretty cool too.
    sell bow ties! they're awsome Smile
    and I think balloons are so essential. maybe we could have lots of them hanging from the room or something? we should also hire the smoke machine we had! maybe a bubble machine outside would be cool too?
    would face painting be taking at a little far?
    FAIRY LIGHTS EVERYWHERE OUTSIDE WOULD BE SO BEAUTIFUL!! actually even inside would be nice. maybe we could also think about getting those rainbow bulb that used to be in the fountain quad back!
    also, you know those paper lanterns that sort of asian? they'd be so pretty to have hanging out the front entrance.
    if we're allowed, we could also have sparkler hour where we all go outside and play with sparklers. Smile

hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:58 am

The thing I don't like about the fairy floss is the sugar, because whoever's making it gets completely plastered in the stuff. And because it's nearly summer (yay) the fairy floss will melt quicker and be even more sticky and stuff. And cleaning solidified sugar off the floor of the hall is not something I really want to do... popcorn sounds like a great idea.

omg yes bow ties!
    Jaymin
    Jaymin

Post  Jaymin Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:39 am

hmm.... @ Charmaine,
    I think face painting doesn't sound too far-fetched. I mean, we made the theme "circus" for a reason, right?
    The only problem would be WHO would do it. And when/where to get/buy/find the paint, brushes etc. But seriously, I think it's a fantastic idea.

@ Hannah,
    well it's true that people often DO end up getting plastered by the AWOL sugar threads flying all round the world when we have a fairy floss machine in operation. But I guess that sort of stuff only happens if you REALLY don't know how to use the machine. Poppy and Co. are going to be running a fairy floss machine tomorrow at the stalls. We should decide AFTER her group have finished with the event about whether it's viable to have the machine running on the night or not.
    You OK with that, Poppy?

@ Harriet,
    YES POPCORN FTW (:

peace .
    veronicaa

Post  veronicaa Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 am

wow charmaine, you have incrediblee ideas!

SPARKLERS WOULD BE SO FUN!
    would we be allowed?
    i reckon, if we did have like popcorn, sparklers, fairy floss etc, it would
    attract more people to come; and these themes are related to the theme
    so it's great.
    but yeah hannahs right, cleaning up fairy floss is really messy, but i
    wouldn't mind cleaning it up. we could also maybe just like, pack the machine up at 8
    so we get more time to clean it up after/ we wouldn't have as much mess.
    idk :S
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 am

sparklers i dont think will be permitted dont think it will get passed through moxham

for fairy floss, good suggestion but i dont think moxham will be happy seeing sugar all over the school hall and ants or random insects crawling about...

for pop corn i think that is a good suggestion. why? although u get pop corn all over the floor u can sweep it away easily if not the lazy method, vacuum cleaner lol. no but in all seriousness i think pop corn is a workable idea.

for gelato it is what we usually make money from so if dont have it, it is a huge loss to charity or src fund.

if u r gonna do anything circus food related, organise something that is dry and not sticky, wet or a hassle to clean up.

good luck guys i might check again in a week to see how you are all going

Last edited by Michael on Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Carlo

Post  Carlo Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks MT Very Happy
    POPPY!

Post  POPPY! Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:01 am

honestly, sparklers won't be allowed. its very likely someone will get burnt (from ms moxham's perspective).

we can rule out fairyfloss becuase it makes too much mess (like seriously so much. after about five minutes my whole arm was covered in it as was my face and shirt. its so bad.) and having it and gelato is a bit much.

popcorn is easy. are we going to sell it in bright boxes (like circus podium/traditional boxes) becuase that would be fun!
    Michael
    Michael

Post  Michael Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 am

for the popcorn

what boxes are you getting? i suggesting using paper cups or plastic cups and selling in those. Easy to serve as you just need to dig the cup in popcorn pile and scoop it out to serve.

how are you making the pop corn? microwave? do u have a machine?

just minor things that u should keep an eye out for Smile

quick reminder or u can say a check up.

float organised for the day? <-- treasurer's job
    gelato ordered? <-- treasurer's role to pass tax invoice to ms levi
    security organised? <-- someone needs to tell ms levy if they haveny already.

but the progress so far seems good Smile keep up the good work and good luck guys
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:38 am

I think that popcorn should be sold in paper cups, $1 a cup if they are bigger

I have a popcorn machine, i can bring it in next week

How would we organise making it? Maybe it should be made in batches, so as soon as we run out in the hall we make some more in the common room? and i don't think we should use butter, because it makes everything greasy and hard to clean if its on the floor.
    charizard

Post  charizard Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:58 am

hi guys Wink
    I have a popcorn machine if you want me to bring that in too.
    for an actual popcorn machine, we could hire it from the fudgeshop for $185. I'm not sure if that'll be too much considering we have gelato already, but that is an idea.
    also, go to the games thread and give me your advice on the laughing clown machines asap! Smile thanks guys!
    Aliasgher

Post  Aliasgher Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Does anyone have a car that could fit a 4m x 3m x 3m machine??
    charizard

Post  charizard Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 am

we could get it without the backdrop. that's only 2.8m x 1m x 1m. so if anyone has a car, let me know by tonight. I want to finalize everything by tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:58 am