Fort St High School SRC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fort St High School SRC

Discuss and have fun!

+9
hannah harmelin
kalculator
Leya Reid
koolkat
Jacob
Aliasgher
Carlo
yunalee
Harriet
13 posters

For questions commitee members.

Carlo

For questions commitee members. - Page 2 Empty Re: For questions commitee members.

Post  Carlo Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 am

Just a point to Kal - only students will actually be participating in the Trivia Night. Just so you know.
    Harriet

For questions commitee members. - Page 2 Empty Re: For questions commitee members.

Post  Harriet Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:17 am

The only problem with maths or science as a topic is we have to pick dead easy year 7 questions so we're not discriminating.
    Why not have history and geography as separate subjects, along with pop culture, sport and general knowledge? Or yeah I guess we could combine history and geography and then have literature as the 5th topic. Yeah I like that actually.

Now, between the rounds, I really liked the idea of naming the 51 American states, and having points per state you name, that should definitely be one of the extra activities.

Questions for pop culture:
    - What language is Justin Bieber fluent in other than English?
    - Name the siblings in each of these bands (1 point per band); Good Charlotte, Oasis, Jonas Brothers, The Jackson 5, The Veronicas.

Literature:
    - What is Albus Dumbledore's full name?
    - Which animals are the communist rulers in George Orwell's 'Animal Farm?'
    - In 'Pride and Prejudice', which sister elopes with Wickham?

Geography and History:
    - What year was the battle of Hastings? (bonus point if they can name the winner)
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 am

Harriet wrote:The only problem with maths or science as a topic is we have to pick dead easy year 7 questions so we're not discriminating.
    Why not have history and geography as separate subjects, along with pop culture, sport and general knowledge? Or yeah I guess we could combine history and geography and then have literature as the 5th topic. Yeah I like that actually.

Now, between the rounds, I really liked the idea of naming the 51 American states, and having points per state you name, that should definitely be one of the extra activities.

Questions for pop culture:
    - What language is Justin Bieber fluent in other than English?
    - Name the siblings in each of these bands (1 point per band); Good Charlotte, Oasis, Jonas Brothers, The Jackson 5, The Veronicas.

Literature:
    - What is Albus Dumbledore's full name?
    - Which animals are the communist rulers in George Orwell's 'Animal Farm?'
    - In 'Pride and Prejudice', which sister elopes with Wickham?

Geography and History:
    - What year was the battle of Hastings? (bonus point if they can name the winner)

You are a gun Harriet.
    Leya Reid

Post  Leya Reid Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:30 am

I prefer the idea of combining history and geography.
    How many different things are we having for in between? There actually isn't that much time to complete the sheets. I think 2 should be the maximum. So it's out of sudoku, famous faces, box puzzles, name the logo, or naming a list such as US states.
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37 am

...you do realise that there are only 50 american states, right?
    unless that is some sort of in joke that i don't get.

but yeah, those questions look pretty cool, good work harriet Very Happy
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:38 am

Leya Reid wrote:I prefer the idea of combining history and geography.
    How many different things are we having for in between? There actually isn't that much time to complete the sheets. I think 2 should be the maximum. So it's out of sudoku, famous faces, box puzzles, name the logo, or naming a list such as US states.
    Janek and I did that and got up to 45 so I think it should be a definite.

I like Sudoku as well because it's something different. Famous Faces also should be there because it's an easy one to do.

Name the Logo and Box Puzzles miss the cut.

I'm for 3 but it's up to you guys.

P.S. Congratulations on learning the internet Leya.
    Leya Reid

Post  Leya Reid Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:50 am

I do know the internet, just not SRC forums.
    We did the naming US states at the High T and not many people were able to name many except Shrimp and Harriet because their brains are super tanks. But it's also hard to give points for that because if you give a point for each individual state, then there's a massive difference between the table groups. So pretty much the whole winner of the trivia depends on who can name the most US states, which we don't want. It only worked at the High T because Jessie insisted we were all winners.
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:57 am

Leya Reid wrote:I do know the internet, just not SRC forums.
    We did the naming US states at the High T and not many people were able to name many except Shrimp and Harriet because their brains are super tanks. But it's also hard to give points for that because if you give a point for each individual state, then there's a massive difference between the table groups. So pretty much the whole winner of the trivia depends on who can name the most US states, which we don't want. It only worked at the High T because Jessie insisted we were all winners.
    Isn't everyone at Fort Street brains supertanks?

Anyway I think could name 40+ US States on the spot easy. Can't you?

Ok so I've done a rough mock up of the Pop Culture round. Give me your suggestions and ripes with the Q's.

1) Who sang the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?
    2) What language is Justin Bieber fluent in other than English?
    3) Name the siblings in each of these bands (1 point per band); Good Charlotte, Oasis, Jonas Brothers, The Jackson 5, The Veronicas
    4) Who sang the song Never Gonna give you up?
    5) “Get busy living or get busy dying!” is a line from which famous 1994 movie?
    6) On what street is the TV Soap Neighbours set on?
    7) Sean Penn won the 2009 Academy award for best actor after starring in which movie?
    Cool Wycleff Jean recently attempted to run for the Presidency in what country
    9) “Load up on guns, bring your friends It's fun to lose and to pretend” is a line from which Nirvana song?
    10) Name the 6 actors who had leading roles in the TV Sitcom “Friends.”
    Harriet

Post  Harriet Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:00 am

I LOVE the last one!
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 am

those questions look super cool, and yes i love the last one as well Smile
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:07 am

Friends ftw. Very Happy
    I'm a sad, sad person.

Have watched every episode twice...
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:22 am

me too...
    we should really just make a club.

ANYWAY.
    I think a fort street round would be pretty cool, we could have questions like:

who is the head of social sciences?
    what is mr osland's middle name? (we have to ask him first though)
    when he was a child, what did mr pagani want to be when he grew up? (same as question above)

we can award points for creative/funny answers as well though.
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:25 am

hannah harmelin wrote:me too...
    we should really just make a club.

ANYWAY.
    I think a fort street round would be pretty cool, we could have questions like:

who is the head of social sciences?
    what is mr osland's middle name? (we have to ask him first though)
    when he was a child, what did mr pagani want to be when he grew up? (same as question above)

we can award points for creative/funny answers as well though.

So SRCers do we do a Fort Street Round? YOU DECDIE!
    Leya Reid

Post  Leya Reid Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 am

It would be hard to come up with 10 questions for the Fort Street Round. And most of them will probably be impossible to know, seeing as we have to ask the teachers themselves for the answers. But I guess if we give points for creativity, then it should be fine.

By the way um koolkat, what is this quoting stuff? I don't get it. We don't need to see everything twice.
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:20 am

Leya Reid wrote:It would be hard to come up with 10 questions for the Fort Street Round. And most of them will probably be impossible to know, seeing as we have to ask the teachers themselves for the answers. But I guess if we give points for creativity, then it should be fine.

By the way um koolkat, what is this quoting stuff? I don't get it. We don't need to see everything twice.

It's so you can direct comments at the person you want. Like this for exapmple.
    Carlo

Post  Carlo Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:13 am

It was very useful having that trivia game in the High Tea because it told us a number of important things we can apply to this Trivia Night.

It comes in very handy if you put the number of points each question is worth at the end if it is more than one point (so that markers know what they are looking for) and give a total number of points at the end of each round. Do we want to keep the number of questions in each round consistent, or the number of points in each round consistent?

Also it's good to have something organised right at the end, after the last round, so that people aren't bored while they're waiting for the final scores to be added. The final round should finish at least 15 minutes before the end of the night.
    Aliasgher

Post  Aliasgher Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:00 pm

For the Fort Street round, we don't have to have questions just about the teachers. We can have them about the school like how many trees are there in the Kilgour Quad etc...
    That should make that round easier?
    kalculator

Post  kalculator Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 am

I'm sorry but it's really hard to understand what's going on and all that crap via the forum.
    Can the Q-people meet up one lunch time and discuss/decide what we are going to do.

Because at the moment we've got ideas, questions and arguments flying all over the place.

I quite like Harriet's and Romaan's questions.

And ignore my previous statement about our trivia audience. I thought it would be a combination of people not just students. I lose.

Alrighty lads?
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:58 am

kalculator wrote:I'm sorry but it's really hard to understand what's going on and all that crap via the forum.
    Can the Q-people meet up one lunch time and discuss/decide what we are going to do.

Because at the moment we've got ideas, questions and arguments flying all over the place.

I quite like Harriet's and Romaan's questions.

And ignore my previous statement about our trivia audience. I thought it would be a combination of people not just students. I lose.

Alrighty lads?

I am fine with it.

Ok here is a mock up of the Sport round. Once again give me your ripes and suggestions for the questions. Also if anyone can answer all of them without looking it up on the net I'll give them a dollar at the next SRC meeting/roll call.

1)What are the two NBA clubs and the 1 MLB clubs Michael Jordan played for? (3)

2)Name 5 players who have played this year for the Sydney Swans. (5)

3)In which city is the Australian F1 Grand Prix held? For a bonus point name who won this year’s event. (2)

4)Which current Melbourne Storm star will move to the Brisbane Broncos at the completion of the NRL season? (1)

5)Which NFL Franchise won the last Superbowl? (1)

6)Who are the current UEFA Champions League holders? (1)

7)In which year did Amsterdam host the Summer Olympics? (1)

8)Where and in what year were the first Winter Olympics held? (2)

9)The Brownlow Medal is awarded to the best player in which sport? For a bonus who won the last Brownlow Medal. (2)

10)Name 4 players who played for the Netherlands in the 2010 World Cup Final. (4)
    Carlo

Post  Carlo Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 am

I would just like to say that this committee rocks, you are preparing well and great suggestions. Ali is right about the Fort St round - put in a combination of weird trivia questions and also some clever questions that could be answered by extremely observant people, based on aspects of the school.

Romaan that layout of questions is exactly right, that makes it easier for the teams and markers. What you'll need to do when you end up getting to the final copies is to print off a page for each round with the number of points for the questionmaster (Romaan) and then another few copies with the answers printed below each question for the markers. If we have 10 teams, it'll be useful to have at least 5 markers so that each round can be marked quickly and efficiently.

The bonus rounds will need to be marked also, you'll have to decide how to score those.
    koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:20 am

Ok I'm going through these pretty quick. Smile

Geography and History Mock up

1)What is the longest mountain range in the world? (1)

2)What river runs through the French City of Paris? (1)

3)Name the five most populous countries in the world. (5)

4)What is the capital of Laos? (1)

5)Name the countries which make up the part of Europe called Scandinavia. (4)

6)In which year was the Battle of Waterloo? For a bonus point which great leadeer was defeated in this battle? (2)

7)Which European leaders signed the “Munich Agreement”? (4)

8)Who was the first Emperor of the Roman Empire? (1)

9)Which is older, Stonehenge or the Great Pyramid? (1)

10)Name the 5 pillars of Islam. (5)
    hannah harmelin

Post  hannah harmelin Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm

I don't know if this would ruin the question or not, but year 8 learn about Islam in history (I'm guessing that that's what you're doing in history now) so it's not particularly fair to the year 7s to have question 10 in there.

But the rest are good Smile
    Aliasgher

Post  Aliasgher Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Literature mock up

1) What is Albus Dumbledore's full name? Albus Wulfric Percival Brian Dumbledore
    2) Which animals are the communist rulers in George Orwell's 'Animal Farm?'Pigs?
    3) In "Pride and Prejudice", which sister elopes with Wickham?Lydia
    4) Name the four children in the Narnia books? Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy Pevensie
    5) What is the name of Bella's child in the Twilight Saga? Bonus: Who imprints on her? Renesme, Jacob
    6) J.R.R. Tolkien - what were his two middle names? Ronald Reuel
    7) Which 14th century poet wrote The Canterbury Tales? Geoffrey Chaucer
    Cool In "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", who performs the spell which results in George loosing his ear, and which spell was it? Severus Snape, Sectumsempra
    9) Who wrote "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Emperor's New Clothes"? Hans Christian Andersen
    10)In the novel "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" what was the name of the captain of the submarine "Nautilus"? Captain Nemo

Are these alright?
    Don't know the answer to the 2 and 3

Last edited by Aliasgher on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:46 am; edited 3 times in total
    Aliasgher

Post  Aliasgher Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Fort Sreet Round mock up

1) Who is the head of social sciences?
    2) What is mr osland's middle name? (we have to ask him first though)
    3) When he was a child, what did mr pagani want to be when he grew up? (same as question above)
    4) How many trees are there in the Kilgour Quad?
    5) How many trees were destroyed in the Fountain Quad?<<Kind of the same as 4) so don't know about it
    6) What car does Ms Dadour own? Bonus: What is the number plate?
    7) Who is the teacher who is usually teaching in room W22?
    Cool How many rooms are there in the Kilgour building?
    9) What time does recess start (end of announcements) on a Friday B? Bonus: What are the bell times for the whole day?
    10) Who is the Cohen Building named after and who is s/he?

So we have a mock up of:

Pop Culture
    Geography and History
    Literature
    Fort Street
    Sport

That leaves??

koolkat
    koolkat

Post  koolkat Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 pm

hannah harmelin wrote:I don't know if this would ruin the question or not, but year 8 learn about Islam in history (I'm guessing that that's what you're doing in history now) so it's not particularly fair to the year 7s to have question 10 in there.

But the rest are good Smile
    Actually we learnt it in Year 7, so by the time the Trivia Night comes around everyone should have studied it. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 pm